Advocate in Support of #SummerSuccess
5 Ways To Combat the Summer Slide and Meal Gap
Summer presents special challenges to young people's education, health, and safety. Recent research suggests that two-thirds of the achievement gap at the ninth grade level is attributable to differential summer learning opportunities during the elementary grades. In addition, eighty-six percent of students who received federally-subsidized school meals during the 2010-2011 school year did not receive such meals during the summer of 2011.
To ensure that young people succeed during the summer months, we need more public awareness and policies supporting high-quality summer programs and services to address the summer slide and meal gap.
Help us promote healthy development and learning for students during the summer!
Take Action: 5 Ways You Can Support #SummerSuccess
- Thank Senators Patty Murray (D-WA) and Mark Kirk (R-IL) for requesting a study on the impact of summer on young people's learning and health. Send a thank you tweet!
- Find free summer meals for children in your community. Call 1-866-3-HUNGRY to find out where the closest USDA summer feeding sites serving free, nutritious summer meals are located. Or visit www.whyhunger.org/findfood to locate sites using the online map.
- Become a summer reader, tutor or mentor. Take our pledge and volunteer to help kids boost academic achievement in the summer months.
- Raise awareness about addressing the challenges of summer. Share reports and materials from United Way partners and experts:
• Summer Learning Can Help Close The Achievement Gap, National Summer Learning Association
• Map the Meal Gap: 2014, Feeding America
• Stopping the Summer Slide, U.S. Department of Education
• Healthy Readers Resource Guides, The Campaign for Grade Level Reading
• Overview of Summer Learning Loss, NBC's Brian Williams (VIDEO)
- Join the conversation on Twitter by sharing your ideas on how families can keep their kids active and learning during the summer, while still having fun. Use the hashtag #SummerSuccess.