Guest blogger, Nate Thompson is a United Way of Greater Cleveland Young Leaders cabinet member and ticket operations manager with the Cleveland Indians Baseball Company.
It’s no secret Cleveland has the best sports fans in the nation. Season after season, we enthusiastically cheer on our hometown teams. Saturday, June 21 as the Cleveland Indians take on the Detroit Tigers, United Way of Greater Cleveland encourages you to root for our academic success!
United Way and the Indians are teaming up for Stuff the Bus with Books to beat summer learning loss for our community’s kids. Between 5 – 8 p.m. bring new or gently used children’s and young adult books to Progressive Field’s Rally Alley presented by RTA. The goal is to fill an RTA bus with books (so bring plenty!) and buy tickets to stay for the game.
The books will be distributed to Cleveland Public Library, Cuyahoga County Public Library and the independent local library systems. Then later this summer, the books will be available, free of charge for children to help grow (or start) their own personal libraries.
Can’t make it to the game, but still want to participate in Stuff the Bus with Books? We’ll be collecting books at the following drop-off locations through June 20:
- Cleveland Public Library (Main, Memorial-Nottingham, Rice, West Park, City Hall branches)
- Cuini & Panichi, Inc. 25201 Chagrin Boulevard, Suite 200, Beachwood
- Euclid Public Library
- Halex, 23901 Aurora Road, Bedford Heights
- Heights Libraries
- Kennemetal, 18105 Cleveland Parkway, Cleveland
- Lakewood Public Library (both branches)
- Loganberry Books, 13015 Larchmere Boulevard, Cleveland
- NuLife Fitness Camp (Superior, Waterloo and Northfield locations)
- United Way of Greater Cleveland, 1331 Euclid Ave, Cleveland
- Rocky River Public Library
- Shaker Heights Public Library
- Silverman’s and Dunn Hardware LCC, 1450 Hayden, East Cleveland
- Westlake Porter Public Library
Summer learning loss is the tendency for students to lose skills learned during the school year over summer vacation. By providing books at no cost, students stay academically engaged in the summer and grow (or start!) their own personal libraries.
Stuff the Bus with Books is part of United Way’s Day of Action. Annually, on June 21, United Ways around the world encourage their communities to LIVE UNITED to address a variety of challenges in education, income and health.
We hope to see you June 21 from 5 – 8 p.m. in Rally Alley to Stuff the Bus with Books and show your support for our community’s kids and the Cleveland Indians!
A special thanks to Stuff the Bus with Books partners: