Making a Charitable Gift of Stock
Donors donate publicly traded securities as an attractive alternative to cash. Donating appreciated securities usually provides a tax deduction for the fair market value of the shares and avoids capital gains tax which occurs if shares are sold by the individual.
It is important that donors follow these instructions and notify United Way of their intention to make a gift of stock to ensure that the transaction is received.
The donor provides instructions to their stock broker indicating the following information:
- Instruct broker as to the effective date of the gift.
- Identify the name of the stock issued and number of shares being donated.
- Provide instructions to United Way regarding the designation and gift.
- Contact UBS to transfer stock into United Way’s brokerage account.
- Call or email Ms. Elaine Marquard at below contact information.
United Way’s Brokerage Account
UBS is the preferred account United Way uses to receive and liquidate stock gifts. The account information is below:
|Name of Receiving Institution||UBS Financial Services|
|Receiving Institution Account No.||FY 13874|
|Account Title/Registration||United Way Services|
|United Way Tax ID#||34-6516654|
|Contact Name at United Way||Elaine Marquard|
|Telephone No.||(216) 436-2151|
United Way will send an acknowledgement letter to the donor after the stock transaction is confirmed. Tax receipt value based on the average of the high and low of the date of gift.