At United Way of Greater Cleveland, improving education in the area is one of our primary goals. From school preparedness through high school graduation, we are here as advocates for children that are trying to escape the cycle of poverty.
Importance of Education
A high school diploma is a journey beginning when a child is born. United Way of Greater Cleveland accompanies our kids all along the way. United Way makes sure our kids are ready to learn in preschool, reading on grade level in elementary school, and prepared to graduate high school and participate in a prosperous life in our community. United Way is on the front line helping our kids every day.
United Way’s Part in Helping
Our results during the past twelve months:
- 32 childcare centers improved their Step Up to Quality Star Rating.
- 1,486 preschool children were assessed for social and emotional risk factors; 279 were referred for social services (19%).
- 323 preschool children were able to remain in school.
- 924 students were served by seven grade level reading programs.
- 904 students were reading at or progressed towards reading at grade level (98%).
- 699 high school students identified an adult mentor in the plans for their educational futures.
View the programs we fund in education >>